Friday, February 18, 2011

Purpose

Some of my favorite movies all have one characteristic in common. Somehow the good guy (or bad guy) has the foresight to out plan his opponent. Like in Ocean's Thirteen, they are getting double-crossed but in the end you find out that they have double-crossed the double-crosser from the beginning. It's difficult to put this idea into words but watch the movie and you'll get the idea.... Anyhow, this characteristic is one of my favorite about God right now, His omniscience. (He knows all)

My church does a 21 day fast at the start of every year as a dedication of the first of the year to the Lord. When the fast was over this year, I decided to keep fasting as a regular practice in my life. So at the end of January, I looked on the calendar to pick out a day in February to fast. I was going to choose the day of our doctor visit for the baby (a Monday) or one day the weekend prior, to be praying for a good report (which we got by the way), but didn't. I was praying during the time that I was looking at the calendar and chose February 16th, a Wednesday. I'd like to say it was clear to me that God wanted me to choose that day, but it was not. I just kinda chose it randomly. So this past Wednesday rolls around and I really didn't have specific reasons for fasting. But here is what happened and how I was blown away by God's omniscience.

The evening prior, I had a conversation with the pastor I am interning under. A week ago he had asked me a "Challenging Question" about what I wanted to do with ministry. What burdened my heart? After much prayer and thought, I had arrived at an answer. I want to serve men. I want to see men live life fulfilling the roles which God intended for them. For them to find their purpose in life and for them to be the leaders they were created to be... So after our discussion, he recommended I contact those at church involved with men's ministry (obvious suggestion, right? but I honestly hadn't thought of it.... this displays a truth: sometimes we don't see the most obvious courses of action right in front of us and this is why we need relationships!!, but that is for another blog posting). On Wednesday, I shared my calling with the second in command at the Dream Center. Through that conversation and his encouragement, God began to open my eyes to possibilities and to give me ideas for moving forward with a men's program at the Dream Center. Later that night at the Wednesday night service, I ran into the pastor over small groups at our church. We chatted a bit and I let him know about what I felt was my purpose. He also excitedly encouraged me to get in touch with the man over the men's ministry at the church. Ha!

So in a 24 hour period, I went from not being sure of what my purpose or calling was to having opportunity laid out before me on TWO fronts to make it a reality much sooner rather than later. I'm excited to get a men's small group started up at the Dream Center in the next couple weeks. I've already got a few guys in mind that I would like to have be a part of the foundation for this ministry. The idea is simple.... change the men in the community and you change the community as a whole. And I'm also excited about getting involved with the men's ministry at the church.

God knew what February 16, 2011 had in store for me. I'm so thankful that I went through with my fast and dedicated that day to the Lord in that special way. Man oh man did he honor my small sacrifice!!

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord...." Jeremiah 29.11

2 comments:

Laura Hartzog said...

Love this story Chris! It makes it so clear that by us taking a step of faith, God then moves. And a step of faith to fast has to count extra right?! Lol. He is so good to us. Thanks for sharing!

Rick Dykes said...

Thank you so much for sharing bro. You got an awesome gift of leadership and I appreciate your friendship. You've challenged Rachel and I to keep with our vision of fasting throughout the year as well. So proud to see what God is revealing to you!