Have you ever prayed for God to give you an opportunity during the day? Perhaps an opportunity to be kind to a stranger, or an opportunity to pray with someone in need, or an opportunity to share Christ with someone. I pray this from time to time but it has not been until recently that I've actually been able to recognize the opportunity as it happens and act upon it. You see, I often recall on my drive home or as I lay in bed at night that I missed the opportunity. In fact, I didn't even see it. God was faithful in providing the chance but I was not sensitive to His guidance to realize what was going on.
I prayed that prayer yesterday morning and today Reginald (see "Whispers" post) stopped by the office again. We talked for a while and I really feel like he is starting to open up to me a little more. He talked to me for the first time today about getting off the streets. It was a small acknowledgment but it was something... There were two other guys with him today, John and Red. I asked Red why they called him that (his hair is red) and he told me that if I made him mad he turns red. :) Actually though, I didn't meet these guys until I told Reginald that I wouldn't give him any money unless he let me pray with him. His face lit up and he said I could. Then he yelled at the other guys standing by the street "Hey guys! Come here! Chris is going to pray for us!" So the four of us stood in the parking lot and held hands while I prayed for them... Please pray for Reginald, John, and Red. They are dirty, scruffy, and smelly now but that does not define them. God can free them from the bondage to alcohol and drugs that keeps them on the streets. He can get them back on the right path. And I'm believing that He will do it!
These are Jesus' words.... One day, while in a synagogue in his hometown of Nazareth, he read from the scroll of Isaiah..."The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." Luke 4.18-19
No comments:
Post a Comment