Finding out in early October that we were pregnant and having our first doctor visit in mid-October, we decided to wait until Thanksgiving to tell our families in person. We did tell a few people immediately because we wanted to have some people praying for the baby's health. So when Thanksgiving finally rolled around, we decided to give an ornament as our announcement. We bought some simple, clear ball ornaments and stuffed some curled blue and pink ribbons inside. Then on the outside we just wrote "Baby Wolfe."
Carrie's family came to us this year so that her grandparents could get their eyes checked. I believe it was Saturday night that we chose to tell. But earlier that day, Carrie's sister cornered her in the bathroom and, noticing that she had gained a little weight, asked "Are you pregnant!?" Of course, Carrie couldn't lie and that was a special moment for them to share as sisters. That night was crazy. We waited until the LSU football game was over and then planned to tell immediately but we could not get everyone in the same room. Carrie's mom was on the phone for a while and then when she came back in the room, her grandmother had stepped out. After about an hour and a half of waiting, we finally had everyone in the same room and gave them the ornaments. It was a priceless moment when her mom opened the ornament. She saw that we had written Wolfe on the outside and simply thought we were giving her a family ornament. A moment later, she turned it and saw that it said "baby" and jumped up screaming in excitement.
We drove down to Troy for Thanksgiving day. We didn't want to tell all the family that was there so we had to wait until Friday to spill the beans. My mom had a little suspicion and kinda figured once we handed her the wrapped ornament. I think she caught on because my sister had used the same tactic to announce her first child. Needless to say, she and my grandmother were both very happy and excited.
"I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him." 1 Samuel 1.27
Other funny tidbits....
Apparently after seeing Sam and Tray around September/October, Tray told Sam that he had the gut feeling that we were pregnant. We were at the time but didn't know it.
The day that we were going to tell her parents, Carrie's dad and I were talking about future plans. He mentioned that how we look at things will change once a baby comes along. And then he said he hoped that was soon. Haha. I had to hold back a smile. Later that night I reminded him of his comments earlier in the day and he said he thought I had acted a little odd when he said that. It made sense now.
Our first gift was a couple pair of Auburn booties. When I posted that on Facebook, it prompted everyone in Carrie's family to get us LSU gear for the baby for Christmas. As a note to both families... We would really like to have Christian based clothing (bible verses, veggie tales, noah's ark, etc.).
No comments:
Post a Comment